Alvarado Hospital is the only hospital in San Diego to offer both a spine and joint replacement program modeled after the nationally renowned Marshall/Steele program. Previously, patients had to travel to Orange County to access this caliber of care.
What Makes this Program Different?
With the goal to transform orthopedic programs across the country, Dr. Marshall Steele created a program based on exceptional patient experience through coordinated caregivers, processes and services that deliver a collaborative continuum of care. Programs who adopt this program have better outcomes and high patient satisfaction scores.
Alvarado Hospital operated a successful and comprehensive spine and joint replacement program for many years. The logical next step was to create a Destination of Superior Performance in Spine and Joint Replacement, which opened in the summer of 2015 under the name of Advanced Spine & Joint Institute.
Marshall/Steele-based programs have successful outcomes and high patient satisfaction because of diligent data collection to benchmark, guide and support the program’s goals. Some elements of our Marshall/Steele program include:
- Comprehensive program walks alongside the patient from symptom onset to post-operative care
- Nurse navigators ensure easy access to care for patients
- Patient-centric delivery of care
- Comprehensive pre-op, in-hospital and post-op education
- Outcomes measurement
- Specialized rehabilitation and pain management strategies
- Healing-designed orthopedic patient unit reflects San Diego’s beautiful landscapes and landmarks
- Patients may wear comfortable clothes from home for wellness (rather than sickness) focus
- Family-centered unit includes family lounge and overnight accommodations if requested
Alvarado Hospital is the only California hospital to be named among America’s 100 Best for Spine and Orthopedic Surgery four years in a row (2014-2017) by Healthgrades.
To contact the nurse navigator, e-mail her or call 619-229-4548. Do not include personal medical information in an e-mail.