Alvarado Hospital continues provides cutting-edge heart services in San Diego. Alvarado Hospital is the recipient of two national cardiac quality care awards.
Our cardiologists are devoted to providing the highest level of cardiac and cardiovascular medical services available. We provide an extensive range of diagnostic, therapeutic, and rehabilitation services. As a leader in innovation, Alvarado Hospital cardiologists provide a variety of cardiac procedures, including:
- Minimally invasive procedures for atrial fibrillation that help prevent strokes and may ultimately replace blood-thinning medications.
- Noninvasive testing to determine the amount of arterial plaque build-up in the heart.
- Minimally invasive procedures that place a tiny filter into the inferior vena cava in order to prevent blood clots from traveling into the lungs.
For further information, contact us at 619-287-3270
Heart Attack-Receiving Center
Alvarado Hospital is designated as a STEMI (heart attack) Receiving Center by San Diego County. STEMI stands for ST-elevation myocardial infarction. This designation is only given to hospitals that prove their staff can meet stringent standards of transporting a patient from the ER to the cardiac cath lab in 90 minutes or less. This is the time frame wherein blood flow must be restored to achieve the best outcomes for heart attack patients.
Hospitals with this designation have demonstrated that their emergency departments have the facilities, technology, and physicians necessary to provide the immediate diagnostic tests and interventions needed to save lives. This designation puts Alvarado Hospital’s emergency physicians and cardiologists on the front line in the fight against heart-related deaths in San Diego County.
Committed to continuous quality improvement, Alvarado Hospital has regularly participated in statewide quality measurements. We consistently meet and exceed state quality and outcome measurements for cardiac services.
Diagnostic Cardiac Testing
Equipped with advanced monitoring, imaging and testing technologies, Alvarado Hospital’s diagnostic services provide a comprehensive approach to detecting and tracking cardiac and cardiovascular irregularities. Many of these services may be provided on an outpatient basis.
- Cardiac Catheterization Lab
- Cardiac Catheterization Diagnostics and Interventions
- Peripheral Vascular Diagnostics and Interventions
- Cardiac Pacemaker and Automatic Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (AICD) implants
- Electrophysiology Studies with ablation capabilities utilizing the CARTO 3 Imaging and Mapping System with Intercardiac Echo (ICE)
- Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) closures
- Percutaneous Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD), aka “Impella”
- Electrocardiograms: 24-hour Holter monitoring
- ECG and signal-averaged ECG
- Treadmill stress testing
- Transesophageal echocardiography
- Cardiac perfusion scanning
- Tilt-table orthostatic tolerance testing
- 30-day event monitoring
- Exercise stress testing
- Pacemaker monitoring and analysis
Specialized Cardiac Services
Alvarado Hospital received two national accolades for cardiac care, and for overal clinical care and patient safety from Healthgrades:
- Five Stars for Pacemaker Procedures (2018-2022)
- Five Stars for Treatment of Heart Attack (2022)
- Distinguished Hospital for Clinical Excellence (2014-2016)
- Patient Safety Excellence (2015-2022)